Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A Change WIll Do You Good

I was not looking forward to this new semester, what with one of my co-teachers leaving and my other close one having her desk relocated, plus my favorite student transferring schools. However, this year has turned out so much better than I could have imagined. My kids are a lot better behaved at this point because it's the start of a new year. When I came to Munsung, it was at the start of their second semester and I just felt like I was trying to fill in the former English teacher's shoes. The kids knew I was new, I felt new, and I didn't feel nearly as at ease in the classroom.
This time around, things are easier and the kids are more ready to give their respect. I have all new students, so this past week, I've just been doing an introduction, a classroom vocab review, and a simple word game. I included lots of pictures from home and college, plus some of my photos and art. The kids were REALLY impressed that both of my parents are lawyers (this revelation drew consistent "WOOOOOOWWWWWWW"s from all the classes).
My students that were 1st years have now moved up to be 2nd years, whom I do not teach. But the kids drop by my classroom every day just to say, "HI!!!!!" or "Hair pretty!!!" I still see a lot of my kids that graduated and went to high school, too, since many of them went to the high school right down the road. When I walk home, I get a lot of bows, giggles, and excited waves.

When a new principal or vice principal comes to your school, it's tradition for the old school to send flowers and gift rice cakes (not like American ones, these are chewy, dense, slightly sweet treats that look kind of like candies). This is the VP's desk on Tuesday of last week--the number of flowers grew by about 5-6 a day and by Friday, even the Korean teachers were amused. A few brought in their cameras to snap pictures.


Ahhhhh, this is one of the best things about Korea: tons of pastry shops. Korea has really embraced French pastries, and thus dozens of chains and individual bakeries have sprung up in Seoul. Paris Baguette is the most famous, and there are about 4 or 5 within a mile of where we live. There are also other shops that are privately owned close by. Anyway, their pastries are *delicious* and cheap--a croissant will run you about .60, an apple pastry about $1.10, and a gorgeous fresh cream cake with fresh strawberries costs about $12. I stop at this Paris Baguette a couple times a week on my way back from work.


This is a Buddhist sanctuary/building. And no, that's not a Swastika--it's a Buddhist symbol (it is turning in a different direction). This is a block or two from my school in a normal neighborhood. They're quite common.


Here is a typical Korean house. I don't live in a rich area, either. Most houses around where I live have a gate in the front and is surrounded by a concrete or brick wall. The houses aren't small, either--most are two stories and fairly big. The traditional style gate is still much used.


Last, here are two pictures of my new hair. I dyed it last week and it's been pretty fun.