Monday, December 17, 2007

so this is christmas

well, my punctuation is going to look a bit funny for the next post or so because the cat spilled water on my keyboard, thus ruining my shift, caps lock, and number nine keys. i can't do any exclamation points, question marks, or capitalize anything, which is killing the grammar nut inside of me.

my 7th graders went into testing last week, so i only taught a grand total of three classes for the whole week. the 9th graders have been going on numerous field trips, so i haven't had much to do with them lately. this week, i already have four of my classes canceled, plus wednesday is the presidential election--all public schools get the day off. aaaaand next thursday, all the grades are going to the movie theater, so i get to go with them. i'm actually fairly excited.

it really doesn't feel as if christmas is only a week away. even though there are christmas lights everywhere, this city actually doesn't have christmas spririt at all. it's not a major holiday, despite all the stunning light displays and so called 'christmas sales'--they really don't qualify as sales. most of my students said that they'll just hang out with their friends or go to the movies. when i asked if they had any special traditions for the holiday, they stared blankly back. also, i tried to explain hanukkah to them, but they were pretty lost on it. none of my co-teachers had ever heard of hanukkah, either, and were really intrigued. i taught them a dozen christmas holiday words, and added in 'menorah' and 'dreidel', even though i'm still not really sure they understand judaism.

aerim, junior, dean and i went to hongdae on friday night. it was snowing--so exciting.



last night, the cua crew met up at city hall to view the christmas lights and to exchange our secret santa gifts. the lights were gorgeous.




my students playing scrabble in my extra class.


the lights at city hall video--tons of cute kids.


Online Videos by Veoh.com

No comments: